Welcome to Ruby Victoria Letterpress & printmaking


Here you will find photos of all my original hand carved linocut prints and letterpress printing.
A commercial printer by trade a printmaker by choice.
I specialize in original handcarved lino block prints with a bit of letterpress thrown in for good measure.
All printed on antique printing machines with that unmistakable bite into the paper that you can only get with letterpress printing

The work that I do is not created on a computer everything is hand drawn then hand carved out of lino then printed one impression at a time on my tabletop letterpress machine

I do not use polymer which limits me somewhat in regards to type but I love to use traditional methods in my printing that involve handset type and hand carved designs and I think this is what make my work totally Original and Unique to what other people are doing right now and it also meaning everything I make is an original work of art
I love what I do and love to share it with others that are interested

Narelle


Wednesday, April 8, 2009

My stash





This is just a small part of my recently acquired stash of type.

Its all been happening here lately with me sitting for hours sorting and cleaning type and cases driving Allan crazy with boxes of type and other printing stuff that he doesn't understand all over our house.
In between sorting type I have still be going to my paint classes and trying to find time to do my painting home work as well as being a mum and partner is has all been a bit of a stretch but it is alot of fun although very tiring.
Went over to the printing dept. on the eastern shore the other day to meet Gil the letterpress teacher, a friend of mine tipped me off about him and I am so happy I went to find him, it was like meeting the male version of me in regards to his enthusiasm for type and presses and I ended up signing up for his class there and then, it has been a while since I ran a platen so I thought it wouldn't hurt to get a refresher and it would be nice to have people to talk to about letterpress and understand what the hell I am talking about.
It was a bit surreal going back to the printing dept. this is where I did my print machining apprenticeship about 13 years ago, it has changed alot as the apprentices now fly to Melbourne to do their study, so they have gotten rid of most of their printing machines like the MO, GTO's, and the fufi 2 colour.
It feels like a far more peaceful place now I didn't particularly like being there, being the only girl the boys tended to forget I was there and go on with their boy talk eerk! they made life pretty hard for me actually!
But its all different now and I am older and more stubborn .
Anyway Gil I think is going to be a great person to know as he is passionate about letterpress and it eager to see it have a resurgence here, we will just have to see what happens !

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a message and say hello
It would make me feel ever so happy :)