Welcome to Ruby Victoria Letterpress & printmaking


Here you will find photos of all my original hand carved linocut prints and letterpress printing.
A commercial printer by trade a printmaker by choice.
I specialize in original handcarved lino block prints with a bit of letterpress thrown in for good measure.
All printed on antique printing machines with that unmistakable bite into the paper that you can only get with letterpress printing

The work that I do is not created on a computer everything is hand drawn then hand carved out of lino then printed one impression at a time on my tabletop letterpress machine

I do not use polymer which limits me somewhat in regards to type but I love to use traditional methods in my printing that involve handset type and hand carved designs and I think this is what make my work totally Original and Unique to what other people are doing right now and it also meaning everything I make is an original work of art
I love what I do and love to share it with others that are interested

Narelle


Sunday, May 9, 2010

Ruby Victoria letterpress's 1st Salamanca market

An extremely small section of Salamanca Market

Ruby Victoria letterpress's stall at Salamanca Market



Ruby and Allan having hot chocolate and a snuggle

Well our 1st stall at the world famous Salamanca markets on Saturday was cold but wonderful
I have to admit I was more than just a little bit nervous on the morning of the big day as I had no idea whether we could get the car in to unpack or if we were going to face helpful or unhelpful stall holders that are more experienced but I didnt have any cause for alarm it turned out to be relatively easy to get the car in and unpack and out again and the fellow stall holder ended up being talkative and extremely helpful when it came to bolting the gazebo down to the ground, didnt want a repeat performance of the barn market incident.
It was a wonderful day! lots of new and familiar market people to meet and talk a lovely out door setting and just a great day I had a couple of visits from some of my regular handmade market friends ,thanks Kate for the Loo break! and I even saw and had a talk to my ceramics tutor from when I was doing my arts studies way back when !
She was thrilled to see that I was still pluggin along with my printing and actually making some kind of income from it and she took a fist full of my flyers to take back to all my past teachers to show them, funny I know .
She is organising a group of people to come down to hobart to visit artists studios to talk about their businesses and so the student can talk to real life practicing artists that make an income from their arts practice they will be coming to visit me here in Blackmans Bay
I am really pleased that she asked me as I remember doing this very same tour when I was studying and found it all very inspiring and I guess dreamed of being a real artist myself ,having a workspace where people would visit to see what I do so I guess this mean I am a real artist now who would have thunk !!

4 comments:

  1. That's terrific Narelle! I really like the open studio idea...does this mean you are going to have to do a bit of house keeping?
    Your store at Salamanca looks great as usual. Will this be doing this again?

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha you've got to be shitting me grace I am not going to tidy up for Art students lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! I did have a little look to see if I could spot the new faces, hopefully I'll catch you next weekend :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on the first Salamanca!
    your stall looked great...but it always does!
    Ruby and Allan looked cold...brrr..
    very exciting all round though!
    excited for your progress Narelle!
    love the font in the post above too.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message and say hello
It would make me feel ever so happy :)